I have been playing about with infographics of late but before constructing any sensible, work examples, I thought it would be fun to put together something about my running.
The website is infogr.am and you can easily set up a free account which allows you to create a number of different infographics (some I have demonstrated) and allows you to share them via twitter, facebook, pinterest and apparently also to embed them (but I can’t get that to work on WordPress). You can also add pictures and videos which I have not tried. A paid account ($18/month) allows you to be able to download them as pdf, png (for inclusion in documents etc) a couple of few extra styles and real-time updates. The premium version at $50 a month removes infogr.am branding and allows you to add your own logo.
The site is fairly intuitive but there is no guide – I can’t help thinking I’m missing something or maybe there’s a better way of doing something, but there doesn’t seem to be any instruction in this.
Anyway, what have I learned from this?
- Less is more! My infographics are way too busy but, I wanted to show all my running – I wouldn’t produce something so cluttered and busy for work (yes, I know, I just wrote a 60 page report for work…maybe I haven’t quite grasped this less is more thing yet)
- I have never run a race (or even a parkrun) in January. there’s a simple target for 2015!
- I have run two races in a month on seven occasions
- I have run a race in March every single year (2009 I didn’t start until September) – and if I run a race this September, I will have run a race in September every single year too! (Gets diary out….)
- There are some other things I want to chart, so I may well produce more infographics soon
- I need to learn how to embed them via WordPress!